Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Reading for studying is fun


This past week I had a test to study for. I am training to become a volunteer guide at Ushaka Marine World, in their Education Centre. I am seriously loving it and the experience thus far has been great. 

This test was the last before our assessments and covered quite a bit of information. I studied using a method I used through high school and university. The mind mapping technique. I guess I picked it up somewhere and it has just worked for me.


But I missed out on my reading for pleasure as I was spending three days reading about fish families, mangroves and rocky shores.

 Needless to say mindmaps were bountiful on my table. When I got the test, the other people and I compared study notes and they had just read things over and over again. I guess that works if you if you are memorizing a poem or speech but to actually learn something I need to reinterpret information in my own way and then see it in my own handwriting. And then I read those notes....over and over again

The information which came to me in the test was precise and what I needed. I mean there were about 5 marks which I guessed as I really did not know the answers. But I guess I did ok anyway. My point about reading for studying purposes is that you end up  , or rather, I get tired of the types notes, I need colour an excitement... This is also why I trace drawings to my notes. Of course none of those extra things were asked in the test   but they shall prove their usefulness when someone asks me one of those questions on a guiding 

I am glad to be able to get back to Vanity Fair and a little of Latin dictionary ( for fun, I like to know the Latin origin of words ) 

Am also wanting to get back to ‘ The Legend of Colton Bryant’ , a book about cowboys which is quite interesting so far. He has a horse named Cocoa ; I like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment